Monday, March 30, 2009

Take me to Harlem

As an advertising child, I am always looking for product placement, shameless plugs, celeb endorsements and more.  Our social world is shaped by my superiors and I LOVE it.  You call it annoying, I call it true.  
How else would I have come to have such an intense desire to own a pair of Nike Dunks?   
Not following? Well, this weekend my lovely aunts took me to see the Broadway musical In the Heights -- a modern West Side Story (also in town) with hip hop and dunks.
 I've seen a few musicals in my day (Lion King, Rent, Wicked, STOMP, Hairspray...) and this is BY FAR the best of the best.  It did, after all, win the 2009 TONY.  
It takes place on a block in Harlem and tells the story of the first summer after college.  One kid, who 'made it big' returns from Stanford while others have just rapt up their first year of jobs.  They reunite and as they have grown, they mingle differently than before.  
With rap, insane notes hit by hot ladies, hysterical references that are so quick it's like watching a PIXAR film and INSANE dancing the audience falls in love with every character and is left beyond satisfied.
These dancers, a girl can only pray that some of those gorgeous men were straight, rocked dozens of pairs of dunks and danced on every surface of the stage, in the rafters, on the triborough bridge, through stores... with street moves, classic hip hop, rewind motion and salsa.  I was in heaven and the standing ovation at the end proved that my fellow audience members were just as inspired.  
Now... I want DUNKS.  These are badass shoes made by Nike, apparently worn in Harlem (or just Nike sponsored... but who cares) and beyond.  I've always been into making a shoe statement but this is a whole new spectrum for me.  I've heard you have got to try it before you knock it with these.  Now, it's a matter of choosing a pair!    


Very In the Heights.





So many choices but I LOVE these:



















Which pair are you?!

No comments: