Sunday, March 8, 2009

I heart Rincon

Spring Break is the notorious holiday of college students where they go to a beautiful place, make foreigners hate Americans even more, get completely drunk, do things that they will NEVER admit to and flaunt their indispensable incomes. 

But, what's a kid to do when they have one spring break left, little to no money, a poor job outlook considering the economy and a stress level that is reaching breaking point?  

Well, you could go home... Oh wait, I live on the other side of the country where I have to pay for gas once I get there...NOT cheap.  You could stay at school... barf.  OR you could MOOCH!  

That's my advice for this economy...mooch as much as you want.  But, you have got to learn to mooch with style.  Be resourceful.  Nobody likes a mooch.  Be stealth.  Like the key to convincing any man, you have to let the one being mooched on think it was their idea. 

Maybe your grandparents live in Florida… pay them a friendly visit and soak up the sun while lounging by the retirement home pool.  Just be sure to take a nap to avoid the sights of water aerobics. 

Or maybe your dad will be on a business trip somewhere fancy and you can cash in on some family bonding and some hotel pool and shopping while he’s in a meeting. 

Or maybe your friends from another school are still in school, in say Austin or NYC, and you can mooch their couch and explore the happening city while they toil over papers and philosophic debates.

Or maybe you are just as lucky as me and your boyfriend’s parents offer to extend their vacation rental in Puerto Rico so that the two of you can come down for a few days with them and stay for the rest of your spring break. 

Yup, so I feel like a bit of a mooch but really it was offered… that’s how life normally works out.  You just have to take people up on their offers.  You never know where the wind will blow you. 

As for me, I’m sitting 50 feet from the ocean in a two-story villa in Rincon, Puerto Rico.  There is a constant buzz of waves crashing, a hammock waiting gracefully right outside, the sun shining brilliantly over the land and a cool breeze waiting to refresh you.  I’m not bragging…I’m in awe. 

It’s day 3 here and I’ve seen good and bad but have only been happy.  Day one: flying and stomach flu.  I won’t tell you anymore about that.  Day two:  Ted and I woke up and walked down the beach (We are staying in a small, gated community about a half-mile outside town).  It was only 11:45am when we hit the first beachside business, Tamboo, when a tropical storm led us in to try our first beers here.  I carried my ID and then realized the drinking age here is 18 and so I didn’t get carded.  (Two thoughts: 1. If I got carded I would have cried 2. That’s NOT FAIR!  This is America too; why couldn’t I grow up here!?)  We had a Dominican beer, El Presidente… I do not recommend it. 

Interesting Fact:  The Dominican Republic is 80 miles off the shore of Rincon and DAILY we get to watch helicopters, boats or some other type of patrol go after people who are trying to make it to the States.

After our morning cerveza, we decided to check out the tiny surfer town.  Since they were having such “BAD” weather (i.e. freezing cold temperatures of 80 degrees and off and on winds), many of the surf shops and even Yoga in Paradise were closed.  We met one woman in a convenience store that explained that town was “so far” up a hill and that we were crazy to walk.  We decided that she looked like someone that would say that and we could probably make it.  We were on the search for lunch at a panaderia.  We walked the whole of the shore side part of town, up a giant- GIANT hill, back down the hill on accident and ended up where we started. 

 Here’s a map of Rincon so you can see the hills and whatnot:

(We are on the far, top-right and walked to the inner, top left cluster)

 At this point, Ted and I were famished and determined and tried another very steep hill to climb.  About half way up the hill, a family hanging out on their porch attempted to give us directions to the bakery.  Their son, who speaks English, eventually came out to explain the journey to us.  Oh and it was a journey all right. 

Across the street from this family’s home was a mansion (I love how the brightly colored houses are so economically balanced… money does not separate neighbors here).  Guarding the mansion was our buddy, Ted’s dream dog, Otis.  This chocolate lab was the coolest.  He led us to the bakery, sat outside and waited for us, followed us back down the giant hill (past his house), played with us on the beach (running along side Ted and playing catch with wood and coconuts) and then followed us home.  We tried to hide inside after taking his picture and he just wouldn’t leave.  Ted and his puppy were in love.  Eventually we had to call his owner, Joe from Smilin’ Joe’s, to come and get Otis.  I’m sure we’ll see him again…

The next morning we woke up bright and early (well, for vacation) and headed to Cabo Rojo for some swimming in a lagoon and hiking around a big lighthouse that overlooked 4 different bodies of water.  It was gorgeous! 

{However, after visiting Australia, where the sun is said to be the most powerful, I thought I was invincible.  Yesterday, I wore more applications of sunscreen than I ever have and guess what? I’M FRIED.  Super.  Thank Bob it’s overcast today because all I want to do today is hide inside and snuggle with my aloe bottle.}

The beach at Cabo Rojo was completely worth it all though.  The beach, La Playa Sucia, had piercing blue water and was protected by a curving beach and breathtaking cliffs.  (Which, of course, us little monkeys climbed up on.) 

The best part about visiting this part of the southwest was it was full of locals.  I may have started out as a blinding white person when I arrived, but by the time I left the beach, I was starting to fit in.

And, I was ESHAUSTED.  The sun is draining here, or I’m just a wimp.  We went back to the main town of Rincon and ordered a pizza and enjoyed the cool, or cooler, dusk air while sitting in the Plaza.  The town is quaint but so comforting.  I am going to miss having access to it once the parental leave and take the car with them.  Once at home, we sat out on the second floor balcony and watched the waves crash, the clouds skate across the sky, the stars shine bright and the moon grow by the second… this place is magical.                                 

No comments: