Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ad Agency Websites

Jobs.  Some people have 'em, some people want 'em, some people got screwed and lost 'em, some hate 'em and the rest actually like 'em.  

As for me, I want one.  Badly.  I am an advertising major with extensive intern experience.  I really don't want to have to order office supplies or arrange a gift basket again... unless I'm the one giving orders.  

I think, after working for free/virtually for free for four years and living and breathing advertising communications in school, I should be able to get out there and show the world what I've got.  
Unfortunately, this early bird might not get the worm just yet (thanks economy). 

I spend HOURS of my time searching for a fit for me.  Even though I should take whatever I can get my hands on right now, I still want to feel inspired, exhilarated and intrigued by my creative and strategic work.  That requires the right agency.  I LOVED my agency (SMART) in Sydney, AUS, but that's a little too far away for now.  So, I search.

I am repeatedly appalled and surprised by how BAD some agency websites are.  Why on earth would a top-notch client trust you to creatively represent them to the world if you can't represent yourself.  APPEARANCE DOES MATTER PEOPLE!  Some of the websites I come across "sound" great but the site might as well be for a bank or investment company with its bland serif font, neutral color, block design pages.  YAWN.  

Then, there are the companies that I would give my right arm to work for.  Not only do they "sound" great, they LOOK like they know what they're doing.  These are my ultimate favorite finds:  Check 'em out!
          

This one has a website and a "boring" website (for those who like the informational thing)... clever.  BUT, they, at least, PROVE that they are capable of outside-the-box thinking that advertisers are supposed to have.  They have a whole personality concept for the company... a school for girls with lessons, etc.  The site is interactive and stimulating and even has its own in-house soundtrack.  It's nuts, in a good way.  


This place is so amazing.  It makes me excited about advertising.  Their client list (including RED SOX, AT&T, Red Bull, etc) makes sense.  The site shows their capabilities and dedication to every project and is super interactive.  Just looking at it normally inspires me when I get mind-block.  Just imagine what their ads do.     

Why would multi-million dollar companies risk giving their business to UGLY companies?  They want to keep their status as exciting and innovative in the social mind.  A good site takes respect in themselves and will do the same for their client.  Seems obvious right?!  If you CAN do it, do it!  People will want to work for you and clients will flock to you for brilliance.   

No comments: