Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Self Promotion

Ready for more? Well, class... it's time for more show and tell.  

My first assignment this semester in Portfolio Development was to choose a low-interest product and make it relevant in the market.  Make someone think they NEED the item.  Naturally, I googled as-seen-on-tv since I automatically thought of silly products like ShamWOW!  This is when I came across the product that would remain the bane of my existence for the next four months: the Pancake Batter Dispenser.  (I quickly renamed it to the Pancake Perfecter for sales sake).  

The product dispenses pancakes in the same shape and size every time, and makes the same amount: 4 cups.  They are aesthetically perfect (the batter still depends on you and your inner Martha Stewart).  The dispenser makes pouring on the griddle messes disappear.  You'll be able to impress your mother-in-law or the PTA moms.

My original thought was to make the product as normal to a kitchen as a toaster.  However, this is highly unlikely and so I sought to find the human truth within the product to strike a deeper cord for the audience - "moms" (or the more domestic parent).  My thoughts went something like this... the pancakes are perfect.  You'll never know which pancake was made first, no more sacrificial pancake (then, one kid in class said something along the lines of WHO CAREs and I realized he was right).  Then about 7 trees of sketches later, I arrived on the solution:

The Pancake Perfecter offers busy moms a taste of perfection every morning, despite the craziness that is bound to ensue.  

From this insight, my ads were born:

CLOSE UP:

Close UP
Hungry for Pancakes?  Make sure they're perfect!        

No comments: