Tuesday, November 3, 2009

My Top Website List

I was recently browsing Time Magazine 'Lists' and came across one about the 50 Top Sites of 2009. I'm not sure what the rhyme or reason is behind them or if someone just got a really fun assignment, but I found it interesting. I further googled other top lists and realized that if I were to make one, I'd have some necessary additions...

This is how it went:

TIME MAGAZINE's List:

Way to be creative guys... sites like Yelp, Flickr, Amazon, Netflix, Youtube, Twitter and Skype were included. These, to me, are givens. Anyone reading their Time magazine online and not in paper format knows these sites and wasted their precious time reading this flash article to find out things they already knew. We internet users want MORE, we crave the limitlessness of our technilogical world. Some interesting ones were:
  • Popurls - a cornicopia of top news from social media and traditional media
  • Academic Earth - free lectures from major universities... for lifelong learners, sorry no degree rewarded
  • SuperCook - tell it what you have and it will tell you what you CAN have, goodbye chinese takeout
And ones I can live without: Delicious, California Coastline, Craiglook (they reorganized Craigslist and said it was basically ghetto... I happen to like the simplicity and peace sign of this digital market) and Get High Now.

Another list I found is a NY Times "Newsroom Navigator." This is actually helpful like it claims and not just fun/interesting... downside: not as interactive and pretty either. However, it lets you scroll or sort by category to get to useful, factual information FAST!

And now the GRAND FINALE! My top sites:
  • Tastespotting: a digital potluck!
  • Got Gabs: The internet's NUMBER ONE site for SUPER USEFUL information (wait, what?!)
  • Weather.com: Yes, the weather man is hardly right but he's generally in the right ball park which makes all the difference when picking out the right outfit.
  • Gmail.... who ever doesn't have this link, I want you to google it and invest a minute of your time to catch up with the rest of us.
  • iTunes Store: it's online and it provides the means for me to say there is NO excuse for you to not have been watching MadMen
  • Krop: portfolio website with creative job opps (check me out)
Like I said, Facebook/Twitter/etc are givens in this Al Gore created world.

What's your daily FAVE site?

No comments: