Thursday, June 9, 2011

Bye Bye My "Friend"

Today, my work twin posted this on our company's daily trend newsletter "word.":

Who Dat Who Dat Who Dat?: To encourage people to download and use Windows Live Messenger again, Microsoft created Facebook App “Who is Who?” where you have a minute to guess the first name of your “friends” based on their profile pics. Microsoft wants to prove being “friends” with someone of FB, doesn’t mean you have a real connection. To my disbelief, the best I got was 4 out of 10.

This app got me thinking -- not about Microsoft but about my Facebook "friends" (Sorry, Microsoft, you're going to get attention and traffic, but I don't think you'll be getting Messenger converts)...

Facebook came out right as I was exiting high school and entering college -- at a time when a college email address granted you admission to the social network (pre grandmas and children joining in on the world's largest contact book). Since that time, 7 years ago, I've met a LOT of people -- understandable since I went from a high school with 3000 students to a college in another state with 30,000 students, to New York City, and onto my second job.

Call me lame, but I can assure you that I do not stay in regular touch with the 787 friends I claim to have on Facebook. I've always had a strict "accept friend request" personal policy: no "grown-ups" (I am from the college-only Facebook generation after all), no people I've never met, only night-out/drunk friends if there's a possibility of staying in touch/close mutual connection, etc. Basically, I have always "known" the people that are my current Facebook friends at the time of acceptance.

Then, Microsoft came along and challenged me to "know" my own "friends." My pal above knew 4; I knew zero and then racked in a mere 2 when I challenged myself to a rematch. That's when I set to blogging -- I challenge myself to delete one "Facebook friend" per day from here on out that shows up in my home-feed and makes me go "huh?" Mean? Doubtful. Chances are Joe Shmoe from freshman year English doesn't have a clue who I am either. You're welcome Joe, I'm cleaning out your friend-box too.

I'm feeling lighter already...

Thanks Microsoft for reminding me that social media isn't for information overload, it's for authentic interactions.




No comments: